Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:34:46 +0200
From:      =?windows-1252?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=E9?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
To:        Jay West <jwest@ezwind.net>, <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: multipath status changed, freebsd fails

Hello,

El 20/07/15 a les 21.40, Jay West ha escrit:
> I realize that this may not be a freebsd-xen issue, but not sure where to turn so thought I'd check here first.
>
> We have a pool of about 10 xenservers (v6.5). All the servers are using multipath to connect to multiple nas, and each has multiple paths on different subnets. All seems to work ok, but....
>
> About every 3 or 4 weeks, xencenter will throw an alert... "Multipath status has changed". Further looking in xencenter shows multipath status is AOK. However, a few VM's are down. Recovery is just restarting those VM's.
>
> What is odd - is that every time this occurs, the VM's that failed are always FreeBSD (10.0-Release, most are P9) VM's, none of the windows VMs fail. Are there any known issues with FreeBSD where a blip in multipath status causes the VM to shutdown? I'd think this is a xenserver thing and not a freebsd thing... but thought I'd check. Any advice appreciated!

>From a FreeBSD (or guest in general) point of view, there's no notion of
multipath or the backing storage details in general, so I very much
doubt it has anything to do with FreeBSD. Are you only running Windows
and FreeBSD guests? Do you have the PV drivers installed on Windows guests?

Can you get the output of the VMs that automatically restart? Do they
crash and reboot or are they rebooted by xencenter?

It might be possible that XenServer does an unexpected virtual hard
drive state change when the multipath status changes and that this makes
FreeBSD crash, but without a ddb trace it's impossible to know.

Roger.