Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 01:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gifka Sovereign <gif@loop.com>
To:        Iwan Leonardus <riwanlky@rad.net.id>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stable

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Iwan Leonardus wrote:
>[deletia]
> In the BSD world, I also heard this BSDI OS as commercial BSD OS, which is suppose
> to be more 'stable', because all commercial product is mean to work in 'Live' system
> So, I am wandering what BSDI has that FreeBSD -stable do not have so we have to pay
> more for BSDI OS. These information is usefull for planning and budgeting for a
> system connected to Internet.

  When you buy BSD/OS from BSDI, you're buying technical support.  Sure,
you can get top-grade technical support from both the FreeBSD team and
FreeBSD enthusiasts in freebsd-questions, but they aren't obligated by any
commercial contracts for technical support.  If you need specific
on-demand live technical support, BSD/OS is for you.  On the other hand,
if you're a do-it-yourself competent guru, then you'll probably not need
to burden yourself (or employer) with the value-added expense of
commercial support; hopefully they'll give you the difference in price as
a salary bonus for you. :)

  As to the stability of FreeBSD, ftp.cdrom.com should be a testament to
FreeBSD stability.