Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 11:30:01 +0000 ()
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        otto@hol.gr (Syntichakis Christopher)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: Printer & Sound (strange) problem

Syntichakis Christopher wrote...
> Hi!
>
> When I boot the FreeBSD from the HD after a hardware reset, I have no
> sound , and the printer takes ages to print ... (ie it prints a line,
> then pauses for two-three seconds, and continues...)
> But when I am booting the FreeBSD from MS-DOS, (and running the soundcard
> init program) via FBSDBOOT.EXE , I have sound , and the printer works
> ok.........
>
> Note : my soundcard is SB PRO compatible, (with MAD16 OPTI chip).
> The m/board is a SOYO 5TC5 (P133) 8MB 256K P/line burst cache.
> I have not any conflict with the devices (I've checked them with the
> 'boot -c' )
> (FreeBsd v.2.1)
>
> Any ideas ?

Well, it really does sound like an interrupt problem...  The fact that you
don't get sound on a FreeBSD boot, suggests that the interrupt your card
wants is not the one FreeBSD is giving it.  The slow printing suggests that
the soundcard is competing with the parallel port.

I would think that the soundcard init program is soft-configuring the
interrupt.

So, can you set the soundcard interrupt by jumper?  Is there a config
program that lets you allocate an interrupt manually?

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key