Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2019 20:19:43 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <re@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: release notes file

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 02:01:31PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 1:56 PM Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> > FWIW, I don=E2=80=99t think =E2=80=9Ceither/or=E2=80=9D is necessarily =
the best approach; meaning
> > I would like to still keep the tag in the default template.
> >
>=20
> A while ago, I proposed a protocol that we'd only have the RELNOTES file.
>=20
> The other part of the protocol was to remove it from RELNOTES once it was
> added to the release notes. This way, we can have multiple people working
> on the release notes should we be so fortunate to have those resources in
> the future. It's minorly racy, but not terrible. This way, release notes
> text could also be written by the committer and tweaked by whomever
> compiles the release notes.
>=20
> However, I'm cool with having it in the commit message + template since
> it's better to have a heads up you need to write something than not. The
> understanding would be a RelNotes: yes would mean that someone else would
> write the notes and if you wanted to have more control over what went out,
> you'd use RELNOTES.
>=20
> Glen, do you think that's a workable protocol?
>=20

It's kind of difficult for me to put the words together that effectively
conveys what I'm thinking or where my mindset is here, but I'll try.

I am in full support of a RELNOTES file, but I think that should be
supplementary to the 'Relnotes: yes' (or other variations of a non-empty
tag).

I am conflicted on removing entries from a RELNOTES file once they are
added to the release notes, because that might be a more convenient way
for end users to get an idea of what changed.  However, "Relnotes: yes"
does not solve this for those folks.

It is easy to truncate the file when a new branch is created, just as
a workflow example, but I think the larger thing here is that while
there are folks that commit something without "Relnotes: yes" because
they forgot (or it did not occur to them at the time that it is
a user-visible change), it can be equally difficult to remember to
update a file specifically dedicated to this.

All that said, having at least a sample text of what to include would be
extremely helpful, at least for me, as sometimes I have to ping
committers out-of-band to understand why a particular commit was flagged
as "Relnotes: yes".

Hopefully all that made sense.  :)

Glen

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE