Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 11:18:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Summary of final changes to FreeBSD 2.2.7

On Friday, 24 July 1998 at 16:34:18 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 09:37 AM 7/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>>
>>> As I previously announced, there were some problems encountered with
>>> sysinstall in the 11th hour during our CDROM media testing which I
>>> fixed, rolled an updated boot.flp for, and uploaded to the master FTP
>>> site.
>>>
>>> I also fixed a problem I introduced at the last minute via a fumbled
>>> file copy which caused the XF86Setup utility to be replaced by the
>>> Japanese version (heh).  In addition to this, I've just received
>>> updated distribution tarballs from The XFree86 Project which merge all
>>> of the 3.3.2.3 security updates directly into the "standard" tarballs
>>> rather than having an extra update file (X3323upd.tgz) which needed to
>>> be applied by hand.  In other words, it's totally plug-and-play now.
>>> Just install XFree86 as you normally would to get the latest security
>>> fixes and the correct setup utility for your language.  Since the
>>> X332*upd.tgz files are now obsolete, they have also been removed.
>>>
>>> My apologies to those who were momentarily inconvenienced by this, but
>>> c'mon, this is free software and a 24 hour turnaround time is pretty
>>> good in any part of this industry! :-)
>>
>> 24-hour turnaround is incredible in this industry; most companies won't
>> promise anything in 24 hours, and the few who do mostly promise just to
>> have somebody *look at it* within 24 hours.
>>
>> Three cheers for Jordan, the release team, the core team, and everyone
>> else associated with FreeBSD.  I know each and every one of you are
>> concentrating on keeping Doug White's workload as low as possible.  ;^)
>
> Agree wholeheartedly; this shows both dedication and professionalism
> on the part of Jordan and the rest of the team.
>
> Of course, since I'm upgrading production servers, what I'm REALLY
> looking for is a "golden" release -- that is, a version that for
> some reason (fate, luck, magic, sweat) came out more trouble-free
> and stable than most after the last minute patches were applied.
>  I'm hoping 2.2.7 will be it, as it is unclear whether there will
> be a 2.2.8 and I can't afford to gamble on -current on these
> machines.

While I agree with this sentiment, I think we should bear in mind that
it could have been better.  This time, for some reason, there were a
lot of dissenting voices in the mailing lists.  Didn't we use to do a
Beta release?  If Jordan had released 2.2.7 beta on Monday (or even
the Wednesday before) and let people download it, within a week the
rough edges would have been knocked off, there would have been less
stress, and less idiots sending out messages saying that FreeBSD 2.2.7
was a load of shit.

Greg