Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 01:17:40 +0900
From:      Dan Kogai <dankogai@dan.co.jp>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        "Vadim Konovalov" <vkonovalov@peterstar.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, perl5-porters@perl.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 12:56 , Mark Murray wrote:
>> For me, nowadays 45MB is nothing compared to medium HDD capacity, and
>> even
>> my POCKET PC will easily accomodate it...
>
> 45 MB is fine as a port - we have ports that are way bigger than that.

And we even have bigger ports that does take longer to build than 'make
buildworld' the whole FreeBSD (which takes less than 30 minutes on
Athron XP 1400 -- the fastest box I have at my fingertip).

> As part of the base OS? Nope. The only functionality that we _need_
> is the basic language - effectively miniperl.

But to sensibly strip down the distribution to just as much as needed
does take a lot of something the most precious -- intellectual power.
That I consider a waste.  I don't think anyone objects that there are
several hundred, or even thousand, files under /usr/src so long as it
builds and so long as it nicely fits -- say, in a CD-ROM.  FreeBSD
4.5-stable as of now is just 364,149 kBytes UNCOMPRESSED.  Why don't you
just untargz what Perl 5 porter has to offer and forget about what files
should go and stay?  You can easily install only needed parts.

Speaking of which, the whole build process does not use objective-C
(correct me if I am wrong).  So if you insist on stripping Perl it may
as well be unfair to leave GCC unstripped (I pretty much doubt GPL
allows you to do so, however).

Dan the Wanted for Bloating Perl 5.8