Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:50:34 +0200
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, dkelly@hiwaay.net, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back to sysinstall (was Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall))

> > I ported GNU Iostream to TenDRA,  but  I was  unable  to  port STL.
>
> Was it the SGI STL or the "adaption of SGI STL"?

It was   MetaByte port of STL.  i. e. "adaption of SGI STL"
  (based  on  SGI STL + autoconfig + couple of  defines.)

Of course, after I   checking SGI  STL .

> GNU iostreams is *unusable* with TenDRA. A clause in the copyright of GNU
> iostreams declares that linking with GNU iostreams (which is under the
> GPL) does not cause the other code to fall under GPL *IF* it is used with
> a GNU compiler. But as TenDRA is not a GNU compiler...

Hmm,  really, GNU-ism is dangerous.

In principle, it is not very  difficult to write own one.

> > And as I guess, the development of TenDRA is stopped.
> >

> I haven't checked, but I find nothing supporting this.

 4.1.2  was *very* buggy in C++  side,  and it was year ago.
Updates or next minor version are absent.

We can ask  Robert Anderson about current TenDRA status.

> > In principle, it is quite good idea to get TenDRA  used, but only if anybody
> > with good knovellage of it internals  decide to support it.
> >

> Agreed.

So if you will find such person, inform me ;)