Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:09:35 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, howardjp@wam.umd.edu
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

At 9:29 AM -0400 7/27/99, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> On a file with 100000+ lines, the speed difference is rather
> restrictive. [...] Only about 10% of the time is spend in
> procline().  There seems to be a lot of unnecessary strncpy()
> that could be _easily_ avoided if free() on util.c:130 was
> avoided, but I'll let the authors speak first.  :-)

Hmm, strncpy?  Are these calls which really want strncpy
for what it was originally designed for, or are they just
trying to prevent buffer overruns?

If it's the buffer-overrun answer, then maybe this would
be a good test case for using strlcpy instead of strncpy,
and see if it makes a performance difference (since the
code won't waste it's time nulling-out bytes that don't
need to be nulled-out).

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute