Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:18:15 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Abercromby James TSgt 31CS/SCBBMA <James.Abercromby@aviano.af.mil>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, "'freebsd-newbies@Freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Installation Woes

Abercromby James TSgt 31CS/SCBBMA wrote:

> Then continue on-it creates the filesystems fine and finishes
> , but then when it gos to the next step in the install it
> SIG11s on me and you have no choice but to reboot and start all over.
>
> Also, check this out one time right after finishing up writing the
> filesystems when it gos to the next step in the install
> it was trying to access the cdrom and it flaked out on me
> saying it couldn't find anything.  But... when the kernel loaded
> I know it found it no problem.  Also, the cd works find in windows
> and Slackware so....?

Where exactly are you getting the sig11? Just before choosing the source
media, during, or just after?

A sig11 is a memory problem. For some inexplicable reason, it seems to
affect OS installation programs particularly (I have no idea why). There
is a whole SIG11 FAQ for Linux, and I've seen service notes on it for
OS/2. One common solution is to disable any caching in BIOS for the
installation, then turn it back on after you're finished. However, it
could also be indicative of bad RAM (an ever increasing problem).

David Johnson