Date:      Sat, 09 Mar 2002 06:08:50 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Jud <jud@operamail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID, Vinum(?), Filesystems, OSs...Config Help, Please?

Jud wrote:

>Owing to my girlfriend's generosity and that great American institution,
>the class action lawsuit (specifically, settlement of litigation re: IBM's
>MWave modem/soundcard, which was pretty bad at both), I am able to
>afford and have purchased two identical new 40gb IBM ATA100 hard
>drives that I would like to run as a RAID0 array, keeping my current
>20gb ATA66 drive as well.  (Losing data is no more than an
>inconvenience - anything I want to keep is on someone else's servers,
>and I can use part of the 20gb drive as a fast local backup.)  My
>motherboard (ASUS A7V266-E) has the RAID controller chip used in
>the Promise Fasttrak 100 RAID card, which works with FreeBSD.
>
>While the drives are in transit, I'd appreciate it if someone could point
>me toward good information on the following:
>
>1. If FreeBSD "recognizes" my RAID chip, will it automagically see my
>drives as a RAID array?  Can I configure the array with Vinum?  If yes,
>what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so?

If you use hardware RAID, ie a Promise or HighPoint controller, then you
have no need for Vinum.
Vinum is software RAID. It "emulates" a hardware RAID controller.
Whether or not FreeBSD will see your drives as a RAID array depends
totally on how you set them up. Both Promise and HighPoint, and probably
every IDE RAID on the market, comes with a sort of BIOS utility where
you setup your RAID drives.

>2. What are the parameters of the RAID array I will want/need to
>configure?  Are there good references regarding how to determine
>optimal values for any such parameters?

This is not an easy question to answer, it all depends on what your
setup looks like and what you want it to do.
Basically, it's usually a fine balance between performance and/or security.
High performance usually means lower security, and vice versa.

>3. I plan to run Win2K, -STABLE and perhaps -CURRENT on the RAID
>array, Win98 and perhaps QNX on the 20gb drive.  Are swap,
>applications, etc., automagically placed to take best advantage of
>RAID0, or is this something I will want/need to do myself?  I'd be very
>grateful for any references or recommendations re configuring for best
>performance.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Jud

If you plan on using Vinum (there really is no reason to do that if you
have a hardware RAID controller) I have written a small howto at
http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=86. It's very
basic and only give a small peak at Vinum's capabilitys, but it's a start.

Hope this helps.