Date:      Thu, 01 May 2014 17:35:22 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Winston Smith <smith.winston.101@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Beaglebone black network performance

On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 13:02 -0400, Winston Smith wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM, =D6zkan KIRIK <ozkan.kirik@gmail.com> =
wrote:
> > Rasberry PI's network performance is about 6-7Mbit/s, and ping latenc=
ies
> > are about 10-20 milliseconds. I think it's too high. I used iperf for
> > bandwidth testing.
>=20
> The RPi's 10/100 ethernet controller is connected to the BCM2835 SoC
> via it's USB controller, so the USB controller has to share it's
> bandwidth between the peripherals.
>=20
> The BBB also has a 10/100 ethernet, but it's directly supported by the
> SoC, so the performance *should* be a little better, particularly when
> there's other USB traffic.

It's interesting that reports of the rpi network performance are all
over the map.  The performance is pretty bad for me, iperf says
17.5mbits/sec and pings are in the 7-10ms range (!). =20

I swap the network cable over to an imx53 board (a 10/100 ethernet in a
1ghz soc) and it gets 77 mbits/sec and 200us pings, for comparison.

-- Ian