Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:01:46 -0700
From:      "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reproducable, possibly NFS related, fatal double fault in 6.2-R-p7

Quoting Esa Karkkainen <ejk@iki.fi>:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:46:37AM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>> I remember that nve(4) is NOT stable under heavy network loads.
>
> Yup, that seems to correct. Usually this machine, ie. home my
> orkstation, does not have a load, network wise or in general.
>
>> I'd like to say use nfe(4) which is believed to be more stable/fast
>> than nve(4). nfe(4) is also default NVIDIA NIC driver for
>> CURRENT/RELENG_7. If you have to use RELENG_6 try nfe(4) at the
>> following URL.
>
> Well, I could use -CURRENT or RELENG_7 in this machine, but I made a
> decision some time a go to use RELENG_6_2, because it's hassle free.

Greetings,
I had a situation that was exactly the same -

excerpt from this list titled: NFS == lock && reboot, that I posted follows:

------8<---SNIP---8<-----SNIP-----8<-------
# uname -a
FreeBSD host.domain.tld 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 26
16:27:14 PST 2007

Greetings,
Does anyone know when NFS and friends will be working again? I haven't
been able
to /safely/ use it from 4.8 on. I remember some talk on the list
sometime ago and
then it seemed to be resolved, as the discussion ended. So I thought it was
fixed. Seems not. :(

My scenario;
mount host off root:
mount script exec'd follows...

#!/bin/sh -
mount -t nfs host.domain.tld:/ /host
mount -t nfs host.domain.tld:/var /host/var

confirm mount...

# ls /host
.snap    COPYRIGHT    bin
usr    var    tmp

OK looks good...

# cp /path/to/approx/10Mb/file /host/path/to/dest/dir/

Fatal double fault
eis 0x0blah
eiblah blah0x
panic double fault
no dump device defined
rebooting in 15sec...

Hmmm... that's not good. :(

------8<---SNIP---8<-----SNIP-----8<-------

My final solution was to change the lines in /etc/rc.conf
from:
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"

to:
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
#rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
#rpc_statd_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"

Making those changes ended the "Fatal double fault && reboot in 15 seconds..."

My nic is: ifconfig_nve0

Thanks for reporting the /buggy/ nve driver.
So there are no issues with the nfe driver?

Thanks again.

--Chris

--
panic: kernel trap (ignored)