Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 01:03:49 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, sthaug@nethelp.no, ume@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: setuid ssh should die

On Sat 2000-09-02 (23:57), Brian Somers wrote:

> > > I have no problems making ssh non-suid by default since most people dont
> > > use RhostsRSAAuthentication.
> > >
> > > Since I have ssh changes in the works please send me the patches and I'll
> > > apply them after the upgrade. Please add information to the manpage on how
> > > to fix it, and a helpful error telling them what to do when the user tries
> > > to use it.
> >
> > That's no problem, except for the ``helpful error'' bit.  I don't
> > think ssh should attempt to interpret the failure to bind a socket.
> > The perror() should be sufficient in my book.
>
> Wait... I'm missing something here.  It seems that ssh will exec rsh
> when FallBackToRsh is enabled.  It therefore doesn't need root for
> anything I know of.
>
> Can anybody enlighten me ?

RhostsRSAAuthentication is for .rhosts-like authentication, except that
there is authentication of the host.  You put the host key in
/etc/known_hosts, and the hostname in /etc/shosts, and when someone
claims to be that host, you compare to the public key in known_hosts,
and if they match, you let their authentication succeed.  Of not,
obviously, it kvetches.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner