Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:20:58 -0800
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        "[gill]" <gill@topsecret.net>
Cc:        unfurl@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS: Handbook sec. 15.5.3.2.2.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 12:51:04PM -0500, [gill] wrote:

> Hello.  I am attempting to set up NIS on my network.  One machine as a
> Master Server, one machine as a Slave Server and a few client servers.  So
> far, the handbook instructions seem to work well, the ypinit functions
> happened as expected at least.

Excellent :)

> I have a question about how to keep the slave servers updated.  In the
> handbook section there is a reference to
> 	 "...entries on your slave servers should do the job:
> 20	*	*	*	*	root	/usr/libexec/ypxfr
> passwd.byname
> 21	*	*	*	*	root	/usr/libexec/ypxfr
> passwd.byuid"
>
> The handbook does not indicate where these two lines should go.
>
> Where should these lines go and could you include a short paragraph
> explaining a little more about what their inclusion will do/change?

Doh! This is one of the fixes on my to do list.

These lines should go in your /etc/crontab file. If you're unfamiliar
with the crontab file check out the crontab(5) manpage.

Normally the yp slave server will do their best to keep synced with the
masters but this is not guranteed to always happen. If you have a
network with a lot of traffic these attempts at syncing might fail. The
entries in crontab make sure that at least the most important maps get
updated specificly.

-Bill

--
-=| --- B i l l   S w i n g l e --- http://www.dub.net/