Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:11:16 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Putting the bt848 driver into the GENERIC kernel

Hi,

> Soren wrote.
> But until the bt848 driver can make sense out of a significant bigger
> fraction of the HW, I'd really recommend against this, as it will
> only bury us under a truckload of errorreports from the (new)users.

Would it?

The error messages we expect to see are FXTV does not work
problems, with Tuner or Sound.

The SYSCTLS fix this. (in the -current driver. not in -stable yet)
A card config setup in FXTV would solve this. You can easily
cycle through the cards/tuners until something works.

And we can always cover ourselves by saying the BIG(GENERIC)KERNEL
only supports Hauppauge cards. Their detection is excellent
due to the onboard EEPROM.

Roger
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Group
(26 hours to vacation)