Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2012 14:18:50 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: New Boot Loader Menu

On Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:25:19 am Devin Teske wrote:
> =85Re-adding the list=85 (good point)
>=20
> On Oct 9, 2012, at 8:15 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>=20
> > On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>=
 wrote:
> >> =85Re-adding the list=85
> >>=20
> >> On Oct 8, 2012, at 12:42 PM, olli hauer wrote:
> >>=20
een=20
is not only to-be-avoided for the opposing situation (that some keyboards m=
ay=20
not have a "Delete" but instead "Backspace") but indeed "Delete" is worse=20
because the implied connotation associated with the "Delete" key (_someone_=
=20
might be confused into thinking "Delete" will purge the menu from memory).
y=20
=2D- produces a zero for "left-arrow", "right-arrow", "up-arrow", "down-arr=
ow",=20
"F1", "F2", "F3", "F4", "F5", "F6", "F7", "F8", "F9", and "F10" (note: it=20
doesn't catch "F11", "F12", "F13", "F14", "F15", or "F16").
=20
instead of Backspace" (I simply can't identify in the loader when those key=
s=20
are pressed).
> >>=20
> >> By golly, I think olli is on to something here!
> >>=20
> >> What does everybody think about space?
> >>=20
> >> I like it because it's a NICE BIG TARGET (and it's not used by anythin=
g else).
> >=20
> > It was used once upon a time to pause the bootloader countdown=85
>=20
> Well=85 that hasn't *really* been true since r222417 (16+ months ago).

Yes, you completely destroyed POLA for users used to hitting various keys
to catch the boot loader before it passed by over remote KVMs.  Please don't
keep moving the goal posts.  The only reason my co-workers aren't screaming=
=20
loudly about this to date is that we still use 8.x.  Users get these key=20
bindings ingrained and we shouldn't change them lightly.

That is really my only comment for this thread.  It seems you are intent on
breaking POLA for little to no gain and have no compunction about doing so
which is a shame.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin