Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 11:02:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        hxpro@cinesite.co.uk (Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulating a SCSI tape device ...

Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I was was wondering about the possibility of using FreeBSD to emulate a
> SCSI tape device, with the view to buffer files on disc, before writing
> to slow tape devices, accessing via NFS etc. Has anybody got any
> pointers to this sort of thing ??

You could do it by writing a target mode tape driver to act like a tape
drive and accept the data.  Then it would pass the data to a userland
program for storage on disk somewhere.  Then you can grab the data off the
disk and write it to the slow tape drive.

I think the only controllers that we support target mode for now are the
Adaptec 7890 and probably the 7895.  Justin would know for sure.  I think
some of the Qlogic boards support target mode as well, I don't know if Matt
has gotten the hooks in the driver yet.

The practicality of doing something like this would depend on what you're
trying to use to write the data.  It would probably be a good bit easier to
write the data over a network to the FreeBSD box, if that's possible.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com