Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 02:07:53 +0100
From:      Georg Auernhammer <rusisnoc@helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>
To:        GB <gregbrooks@blue-mouse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: An idiot, his box, and a security question

Huhu!

[snip]
[snop]

> THREE DON'T-KNOW-NUTHIN'-ABOUT-SSH QUESTIONS:
>
> * When attempting to login at "root" and just hitting ENTER at the
> password prompt, I can't get in. Am I missing something about his "no
> password required for root" comment?

On the consle you don't need a password, just leave it blanke.
To get remote access, you need a ident-Key and a public key, as
described in "man ssh"

> * Because I can't log in as root, any root-like changes I want to make
> would have to be made via sudo. What commands would I issue from the
> command line to change my root password back to what it was before?

At the prompt type:

sudo -s

Than YOUR password and voila, you'r root

> * When I attempt to telnet into the machine (from within or outside of
> my own LAN), I'm immediately prompted with "User Access Verification"
> and a Password prompt. No known passwords for the machine work. I
> thought this was particularly odd, since the box wasn't asking for a
> login, only a password.

Why telnet?
Use ssh.

> I like the idea of being very secure, yet I admit the man SSH pages left
> me confused. At this point, I'd be happy if I could:
>
> * Telnet into my machine and execute commands as root via sudo

Telnet is like sending your PIN's for Banccard or CellPhone via
Postcards. SSH is like using envelopes
;)

> * Actually login as root while sitting at the machine so I could make
> broad changes, install/delete ports, etc.

Login as User -> sudo -s
:))

--
Georg Auernhammer
Benutzerberater RUS, Admin Institut für Geophysik