Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:19:41 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   devfs in -stable

I've gone through the mailing list archives (-questions, -stable,
-current and -fs) searching for information on devfs. I've got it (I
think anyways) running, but it does not appear to exihibit behavior I
read in the archived posts.

kernel (relevant info):
options		DEVFS

I then went to the manpage for devfs and read what it had to say, had a
fstab entry, which I added. I later read this was unncessary and removed
it (but still got same results)

mount (relevant info):
devfs on dummy_mount (devfs, local)
devfs on /devs (devfs, local)

When I removed the fstab entry (as indicated by the archived posts) only
the dummy_mount entry remains. My original /dev (traditional?) remains
in both cases (whether devfs is delcared in /etc/fstab or not)

For the /etc/fstab entry of devfs, I ofcourse created /devs

I then went and read /usr/src/sys/miscfs/devfs/README for any further
clue as to what might be going on but learned nothing beyond what I
already see.

It's my understanding that enabling DEVFS will mount it to /dev and
create the necessary devices (and then using /etc/rc.devfs, once can
create the appropiate symlinks) yet it doesn't.

Am I missing something?

- Chris