Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:02:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jason <jasonc@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing 3.3 from CDROM

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Jason wrote:

> I downloaded the ISO from the bsd ftp site some time ago.  Burned
> it and made floppies using makeflp.bat.
>
> Now I have wo disks that I labeled Kernel and MFSRoot.  When I
> boot on the Kernel Disk It goes through some process with cryptic
> information coming acrss the screen and a spinning icon thing made
> up os slashes.....think this is a wait promt of some sort.

This how we tell you things are ok loading from disk.

> After about 5 minutes it beeps and tells me to insert the MFSRoot
> disk which I do and press enter.
>
> It goes through more of the above and then states that it will
> reboot automatically in 10 seconds.  This reboot was not mentioned
> in any of the DOCs but I since there is no error message I let it
> continue.

This isn't what it says, it must say something else at least be
more verbose about it.

I think you most likely have a bad MFSroot floppy, try doing a
DOS format on both disks you made and re-make the install disks
if they format ok.

currently the installer can't tolerate disks with bad sectors.

> A complete reboot happens...Computer counts memory and then comes
> up with the following message/prompt
>
> >>  FreeBSD/i386 Boot
> Default: 0fd(0,a)?
> boot:
>
> There is no information in the DOCs as to what I should do at
> this point.  No matter what I type is always responds with
>
> . .. mfsroot.gz
> >>  FreeBSD/i386 Boot
> Default: 0fd(0,a)?
> boot:
>
> Do I have a bad ISO file here?  bad install disk or what?
> Any help you may provide will be greatly appreciated..
> Also for the record no internet access on this box will be
> available...so FTP install will be impossible.

Probably bad install floppies.

As a side note please tell your mailer to wrap lines at 70 characters.

-Alfred