Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:02:41 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        andrew@python.shoal.net.au (Andrew Perry)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bouncing mail from sites without a valid MX/A record

Andrew Perry stands accused of saying:
> This raises an interesting question, for me anyway. Once again I've
> managed to get spam on a new machine, with an e-mail address that I've
> only ever used to send to the lists.

Trolling lists, or even just list _output_ is fairly common.

> Is this hotmail mob that spam people the same lot that offer free e-mail
> accounts? And is it possible that they somehow examine all the headers of
> mail sent to any of their "free" users in order to increase the size of
> their spam lists? Like, if I send mail to the list and one of the
> recipients uses hotmail could I then manage to get myself of the spam
> list?

I don't believe that hotmail engage in such an activity; they've always
been very quick to stamp on spammers using hotmail for any facet of
their business.

Stupid spammers will often list a hotmail address as return address
for their spam because they can set up a free mailbox for every spam
they send, read the responses, and ignore the flames.  If someone
bombs their return address, it's hotmail that suffers, not them.

I can't say I love hotmail, but I very much doubt that they're fool
enough to enter the spam business.