Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 21:15:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        wes@intele.net (Barnacle Wes)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: delays in ppp solved

> Aha!  When I first started with SLIP, then PPP, one of the cardinal
> rules given to me by Terry Lambert was "turn off modem compression
> completely."  Reasons for this edict I've garnered over the years include:
>
> 3. Modem compression, as you have noticed, often interferes with VJ
>    compression used in SLIP and PPP implementations.
>
> 2. Modem compression often interferes with, and lengthens transfer of,
>    compressed files such as .gz and .jpg.
>
> 1. Modem compression slows down turn-around time -- terrible for
>    interactive sessions.

I believe that my modem is using compression, and interactive
performance is quite good (while am having problems with PPP, not
sure about the reason though; since I did not have time to investigate,
I do not want to bother people on the list).

Interference with already-compressed data shouldn't be too bad,
possibly a loss of 10% or so (probably less: the algorithm should
continuously check how it is performing, and switch compression
on-off based on the results).

The only reason I can think modem compression can cause problems
is that the compression algorithm of the modem decides that it is
worth waiting for more bytes to come, while for some reason PPP
times out. Does this make sense ?

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/