Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 95 9:22:17 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        phk@ref.tfs.com, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> At what gain are we doing this?  I believe it's a noble gain to have the
> source tree compile w/out reference to /usr/include, but what does it
> gain us?  The only thing I can see where it's a big deal is building a
> brand-new $(DESTDIR) tree.  Other than that, most of the time I *want*
> to use the files in /usr/include and NOT those in /usr/src (speaking as
> a user-land kind of guy).

1)	The ability to build multiple source tree instances on a single
	box prepatory to doing a distribution.

2)	The ability to rebuild everything then chroot to test it prior
	to actually installing it.

3)	The ability (eventually) to rebuild with a relocated source
	tree.  For instance, off a remote mount or a cdrom.

4)	The ability (eventually) to do a fully hosted crosscompile.
	This one is tricky, since you can't use any of the tools
	that result from the build in the build.  This is an eventual
	goal since the tools-used-during-build reference and the
	divisions between system dependent code aren't there in
	FreeBSD's source tree.

That's what it buys us.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu