Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:43:27 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, David Greenman <dg@root.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heh heh, humorous lockup

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:36:19 +0800
 Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au> wrote:

 > Out of curiosity, how does it handle the problem of small 512 byte
 > directories?  Does it consume a whole page or does it do something smarter?
 > Or does the ubc work apply to read/write only and the filesystem itself
 > continues to use the buffer cache interfaces for metadata and directories
 > still?  Does the caching part of the bio system still exist?

At the moment, only VREG is handled w/ UBC.  We plan on addressing that
in the future.

In the case of file system blocks smaller than a page size, multiple
blocks are read into the page.  In the case of small directories,
"we'll burn that bridge when we come to it" (i.e. when we attempt to
deal with non-VREG).

So, the caching part of the bio interface still exists for now (in part,
this helps us to use file systems which haven't yet been converted to
the UBC interface).