Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:11:48 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Bernt Nilsson <Bernt.Nilsson@abc.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for the nFORCE2?

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 15:06, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Bernt Nilsson <Bernt.Nilsson@abc.se> writes:
> > Furthermore, there is support missing for the onboard audio, USB2 (I
> > think, haven't tried it) and Serial-ATA (although I don't use this)
> > and something about the memory.
>
> USB 2.0 isn't supported, but USB 2.0 (EHCI) chipsets are generally
> backward compatible with OHCI which we do support.  It is possible
> that adding the correct PCI ID to the ohci driver's attach routine
> would make it work.

The 2 EHCI controllers on my VIA mobo show up as UHCI controllers:

uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xd000-0xd01f irq 5 at device 16.0
on pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xb800-0xb81f irq 5 at device 16.1
on pci0
usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
uhci2: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xb400-0xb41f irq 5 at device 16.2
on pci0
usb2: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci2

I suspect some pci id hacking may fix this.  One of my co-workers has an
N8X, I'll ask him about the HCIs.

> Likewise, SATA controllers are *supposedly* backward compatible with
> "regular" ATA, so this too may be simply a matter of a missing PCI ID.
>
> You didn't say what kind of audio chipset the mobo has, so I can't
> help you there.

It's the one built into the Nforce2 chipset.  Are sound chips even probed
if the kernel doesn't include pcm support?  The audio may be a kernel
compile away from working...

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com