Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:27:49 -0400
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@netunlimited.net>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   newbie PPP question

When I try user PPP I can't get terminal mode to work. When
I invoke ppp, I get the ppp prompt and can pass commands and
settings to ppp. If I then go to term mode I get the term
prompt and the 'Type ~? for help' message, but when I type
in a command I get no echo and no response. The console
appears to lock up. I have to go to another virtual terminal
and kill the ppp process. User PPP also will not run the
script I have written to automate the process (I get a
timeout), but I figure that's because I haven't gotten the
script right yet. I can live with manual dialling for the
time being.

Using
'pppd /dev/cuaa0 115200 connect 'chat -f
/etc/ppp.dial.chat''
I can get kernel PPP to dial the modem and I can hear the
handshake, but I haven't quite figured out how to get my
userid and password to my ISP. Again, a scripting problem.
The manual says I can pass userid and password as arguments
after the 'chat ...' but I get 'userid: unrecognized
command'.  But I know the hardware works and the DIP
switches are correct.

I suspect that my User PPP problem is in the configuration
of the tunnel device in /etc/rc.conf. The only useful
reference to the tunnel device I can find is in G. Lehey's
wonderful manual, but it's for static IP addresses. How do I
write that line for dynamic IP addresses?

'ifconfig -a' gives:
'tun0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500'

I know I need '<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST>'. How do I
get there? I assume I need tun0 in the network_interfaces
line. I also assume I need 'ifconfig_tun0="???......??"'.
What goes here for dynamic IP addresses? Do I just make
something up and let /etc/ppp/ppp.conf handle it? Or am I
way off track? Any help greatly appreciated.

Also: sorry for posting two questions at once, but I thought
the one might illuminate the other. Or vice versa. TIA.

Chris Browning
brownicm@netunlimited.net