Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:19:24 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Apostolos Makridis <pmakridi@bbn.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: netscape-communicator-4.04.us

> Actually, I wanted to buy Word Perfect for Linux, which I thought would
> probably run under FreeBSD, but the vendor won't sell it except thru
> Netscape (giving your credit card ID that way) and I've been too skeptical
> to do that.  Does Fortify give any better guarantee of security?

Depends on several things.  Does the vendors server support encryption
with the higher number of bits?  If yes, then you have a *very* secure
connection from your workstation to the web server.   However what
happens to your C.C. data once it hits the vendors machine?  Do they dump
it in a file in ASCII?  Is that ASCII file sitting on their FTP server?
(stupid example, but you get the idea).  You should worry as much about
their handling of your data besides just getting it there.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)