Date:      Sat, 13 May 1995 22:13:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Whedbee <kcw@bonkers>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl
Subject:   Re: Anyone linked with Hungry ViewKit ?   SOLVED !

> Has anybody using FreeBSD managed to link a program using the
> Hungry Programmer's version of ViewKit ?  I tried compiling
> the equivalent of "hello world" below but couldn't get it to link.

[ ... ]

> % g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -o vk_generic -L/usr/X11R6/lib vk_generic.C -lvk
>   -lXm -lXmu -lXt -lX11
>
> and got:
>
> VkComponent.o: Undefined symbol `___16VkCallbackObject' referenced from text
> segment
> VkComponent.o: Undefined symbol `_callCallbacks__16VkCallbackObjectPCcPv'
> referenced from text segment

I finally found out that the problem was with ranlib choking and not
producing a random library.  It complained of a wrong format.  So I
threw in a -T to truncate with "ar cruTv ...." and was next able to produce
a random library with ranlib.  After that, everything linked OK.  So
is it true you are only able to get a random library if the object names are
truncated to 15 chars or less ?

For more info on what ViewKit is (it's a Motif/C++ API) read the cool
paper at:  http://www.sgi.com/Technology/C_Motif_paper.html

The Hungry ViewKit is at:  http://www.cs.uidaho.edu:8000/hungry/viewkit/

--
Ken Whedbee