Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:06:44 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post-install of kernal sources, maxusers max?

* Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com> [001108 12:29] wrote:
> Sorry to bother you hackers, but -questions isn't responding, and the
> handbook and Complete/Lehey don't, afaics, cover this situation
> explicitly.  I can't really afford to screw up this production
> machine and start over from fresh disk, nor futz around for hours
> guessing what magik combo of post-install choices will do the trick.
>
> ==========
>
> I'm working, remotely, on a 4.1 system with only a binary install from cdrom.
>
> Now I need to do a custom kernal.  Can the /stand/systinstall

kernel! :)

> post-config option be used to put on all the developer source pkg
> without bothering the current config?  which choice (I don't want X,
> just enough to build a custom kernal)
>
> It's in production as 200 K msgs/day mail hub.
>
> All I need to change, I think, is maxusers since we're getting this
> error from postfix:
>
> Nov  8 04:59:41 postfix/qmgr[16383]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
> Nov  8 04:59:41 postfix/smtp[16872]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
> Nov  8 05:00:58 postfix/qmgr[16876]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
>
> The machine can get up 200 SMTP processes and 50 SMTPD processes
> simulatenously, 256 meg RAM.
>
> Increasing maxusers will fix this pb? afaic, maxusers can't be fixed
> with sysctl.

Yes, but nmbclusters can, see the loader(8) manpage for the tunables
to raise kern.ipc.nmbclusters, you might have better luck setting
it to 32768.

> Also:
>
> On the postfix list, it seems someone has heard from several FreeBSD
> "experts" that FreeBSD should not be run at above maxusers = 128,
> while somebody else said they were running with 256 happily.

There was a very short period where FreeBSD 3.x wouldn't work properly
when maxusers was above 256, but that hasn't been an issue for quite
some time.