Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:27:39 +0200
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        Dominik Zalewski <dzalewski@open-craft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "UEMURA \(fka. MAENAKA\) Tetsuya" <maenaka@pluto.dti.ne.jp>
Subject:   Re: slapd - slow starting

Dominik Zalewski <dzalewski@open-craft.com> writes:

Hi,

> Problem is after I change things in /dev/nsswitch.conf. If I live it like
> this:
>
> group: compat
> passwd: compat
>
> I start slapd using /etc/rc.d/slapd start , then I change /etc/nsswitch.conf
> to:
>
> group: files ldap
> passwd: files ldap
>
> Everything is fine and users can login via ssh using their ldap password. I
> can boot server with first configuration and run some script that will copy
> second nsswitch.conf , but I dont like this solution and I dont understand
> why its not working.

Chicken & Egg problem, the system queries the ldap backend to get
informations about the account it will use to start the ldap backend.

I've made a change to /etc/rc.d/slapd that copies a ldap disabled
nsswitch.conf to /etc in start_precmd() and then a ldap enabled
nsswitch.conf to /etc in start_postcmd().

I've tried to toy with backend options in nsswitch.conf but no luck atm.
Seems I'm not alone, see <20060707161801.GB42118@dimma.mow.oilspace.com>
regarding "nsswitch.conf problem with group status code"
group: files [success=return notfound=continue unavail=continue tryagain=continue] ldap
passwd: files [success=return notfound=continue unavail=continue tryagain=continue] ldap

Regards

Éric Masson

--
 l'anarchie, c'est pt'etre pas genial comme mode de gouvernement,
 mais c'est mieux que pas de gouvernement du tout.