Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 2015 08:56:44 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is NO_PKG_REGISTER still supposed to work?

On 2015/02/07 01:31, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
> From bsd.port.mk:
>
> # NO_PKG_REGISTER
> #               - Don't register a port installation as a package.
>
> However, testing this with a port results in the port installation
> performing the staging part only and the final installation from the
> stage directory on to the system being skipped when NO_PKG_REGISTER is
> set. Is this still supposed to work?

I doubt it.  pkg(8) doesn't have the capability to install a package
without updating the package database.  Plus why would you even want to
do that nowadays?  As I recall NO_PKG_REGISTER was a work-around for not
having staging or tools like poudriere where you can build a package
without scribbling on your live system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew