Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:41:04 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Severe problems with softupdates.

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 08:11:49PM +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> Kirk mentioned that he was confident that softupdates was 'safe', but I've
> had files (from a previous crash - recovered from) in lost+found that I
> didn't touch, and no-way should have become disconnected from the file
> system - they weren't even in buffercache at the time of the crash.
>
> I believe that Brian has also had the same problems (at FreeBSDCon).
>
> Can people put their hands up if they believe that they've experienced this
> so that we can determine whether there's a deeper softupdates problem that
> we're ignoring on faith?
>
> Also if anyone knows how to recover from it I'd be very grateful to know.
> My /usr partition is uncleanable (although I can 'mount -f' it!! nasty!!).

fsdb is a good way to handle such cases.
I know such things very well but I have to say that it only happens in case of
hardware or driver failures.
I never got problems because of softupdates itself.
The cases I got were a disk with broken TQC in the firmware and some data-
coruption in some vinum versions using R5.
Softupdates seem to be able to trigger bugs in other layers.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de