Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 11:21:15 -0800
From:      Wayne Scott <wscott@ichips.intel.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        coredump@onyx.nervosa.com (invalid opcode), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How

> > Just how dangerous is it to mount disks with async? If your machine
> > somehow crashes, do you rick losing all your data? Of course, you risk
> > that with sync also...
>
> IMO, very dangerous.

Terry,

Thanks for a good explaination of sync vs. async.

I believe the Linux ext2 file system is always async.  Is that
filesystem just as unstable or do they do something else to make it
easier to recover in the case of a crash.

I have crashed Linux systems many many times and have not noticed a
real problem recovering.  Am I just lucky?

-Wayne