Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:57:23 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install trick

On 1999-Oct-06 11:33:51 +1000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> On 1999-Oct-06 09:55:26 +1000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> >I've seen softupdates nearly eliminate disk io for systems that used
>> >an abmornal amount of temp files, but the fact that it can destabilize
>> >a system worries me greatly.
>>
>> What do you mean by `destabilize'?
> softupdates can crash the system when this
>happens, not a mere application, but the entire system can lock up.

I don't recall this coming up in this thread.  Last I recall, that
bug was supposed to be fixed (and Kirk(?) wanted anyone who still
saw it to report it).  Unfortunately, I can't find that thread in
the archives :-(.

>Which isn't an option unless you dedicate a partition for /tmp
>which is pretty wasteful imo.

I guess we disagree on this.  My feeling is that write activity on
root should be minimised to minimise the risk that root will be
inconsistent following a crash.  Secondly, there's a security
viewpoint that users should not have write access anywhere in the root
or /usr filesystems.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au