Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:33:09 -0600
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Piero <piero@poprostu.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I debug the logout session?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:18:54 +0100, Piero <piero@poprostu.pl> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:31:21 -0600, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
>  wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:51:48 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke
>> <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

>> >logout. I am> wondering how can I debug that kind of bug?
>> >
>> > gnome-session is responsible for logging in and out.  You might
>> > want to attach gdb to that from a vty and see what happens.
>> > Also, check the~/.xsession-errors and console for anything
>> > useful.
>>
>> There's no ~/.xsession-errors and I don't understand or know what
>> you mean by vty? Attaching the errors.txt is what I get from kill
>> X by manual, but I don't think it will help that much. I tried to
>> add that '--sync' in the .xinitrc like 'exec gnome-session --sync'
>> and no luck.
>
> vty is a virtual terminal (ttyv), that's what you get besides the
> console with Alt+F<N>, before starting Xwindow (unless you start it
> with display manager). When in Gnome try switching to it with
> Ctrl+Alt+F<N> - you should see teh same errors that would go to
> ~/.xsession-errors, at least it works this way here.

Ahh, vty is virtual terminal.. Thanks! I did that and it doesn't even
storage the errors in the ~/.xsession-errors. How can I force that? Well,
the vty doesn't work very well with Nvidia driver, which I can't come back
to X. But, when I did the vty and I can use gdb, so I use gdb on
gnome-session and I get like this:

============================
(gdb) bt
#0  0x28c198ef in poll () from /lib/libc.so.5
#1  0x28a09961 in _thread_kern_sched_state_unlock () from
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.5
#2  0x28a0937b in _thread_kern_scheduler () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5
#3  0xd0d0d0d0 in ?? ()
#4  0x7fffffff in ?? ()
Error accessing memory address 0xffffffff: Bad address.

Do anyone have the same problem with the logout on today Gnome 2.5.x?

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.