Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:07:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   lpr/lpd Print Job Name

(Related posts were made in -questions last night, but I think this may
be a more appropriate list.)

With lpr, there seems to be no direct way to set the name of a print
job--the "N" line in the control file.  -C, -J, and -T options don't do
it, although -T does only when the pr filter is used, I think.

Google searches show that people have occasionally needed to change the
job name, but had no good method.

A related problem is that lpd doesn't pass an existing job name to input
filters.  The input filter can't duplicate the original job name if
it puts the job into another queue.

If there's a workaround to this, I'd be very happy to hear about
it.  Otherwise...

I hacked a preliminary -N option into lpr today.  It works (I was
surprised).  But has lpr been around so long that it should not be
touched?  And there are issues about how multiple files should be
handled: force the same job name on all of them, just the first one, or
use a delimited list after -N?

What about lpd--is adding a -N option and the job name to the parameters
it feeds to input filters a bad idea?

Suggestions are welcome--thanks!