Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:03:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        Mike.Smith@turner.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, big-linux@netspace.org
Subject:   Re: Which OS? Linux or FreeBSD

Mike.Smith@turner.com wrote:

>      I want to buy a unix like OS and am
>      considering either FreeBSD or Linux.  Are there any comparisons out
>      there?  I have heard great things about both OS's and am having a hard
>      time making a decision.  Any strong opinions on either OS?

	at this year's Usenix conference tow people from stanford compared
	older version of FreeBSD Linux and Solaris.   read the paper and
	judge for yourself.  the identical hardware was used for all
	tests.

	http://plastique.stanford.edu/~laik/benchmarks/index.html

	read this with an eye toward your own requirements (eg fast disk,
	network spped, context switching, multiuser stability .....)

--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/