Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:27:20 +0100
From:      Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Alexey Karagodov <karagodov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Interesting speed benchmarks

On Friday 26 January 2007 15:06, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Stefan Ehmann writes:

> > > Format the disk, copy a large file to/from it, divide
> > > its size by time spent, add the word "approximately" :-)
> >
> > I'd rather not format a drive with my backups and other stuff on it :-)
>
> If you want to test under windows then you could use hdbench from c't
> magazine. I think it has a non-destructive mode. It's what they use to
> do all their disk tests.

Thanks for the tip. Using h2benchw, I get 30.5MB/s - so no magic speed
increase on windows. The limiting factor is not the hd, using ata I get more
than 65MB/s.

According to [1] "The maximum rate currently (2006) attained with real devices
is about [...] 30 MB/s".

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb