Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 01:21:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@iris>
To:        wweng@stevens-tech.edu (Wei Weng)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install port collection

> Hi.
> I have the same problem. But the things worse here is I am behind a stupid
> firewall, so there is no way that i can use ftp to grab the package from
> the master site directly. Is there any other way to do it?

What type of firewall is it, do you know? If it's SOCKS, you can use the
runsocks command to SOCKSify the 'fetch' command which the port install
process uses - so it will correctly traverse the firewall (assuming you
set up the SOCKS client library properly). This is the setup I have, and
it works fine..but other types of firewall are less permissive.

If you can use things like rtelnet or rftp to talk to systems on the
other side of the firewall, it's likely to be SOCKS.

Kris