Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 23:59:21 +0100
From:      Dave Boers <djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Dave Boers <djb@wit389306.student.utwente.nl>, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current lockups

It is rumoured that Peter Jeremy had the courage to say:
> Note that ntpd will use rtprio if the Posix P1003.1b extensions aren't
> enabled in the kernel.  (These were enabled by default in GENERIC on
> i386 in mid-January).  If you have the new ntpd (rather than xntpd)
> and are running a kernel without options P1003_1B,
> _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING and _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L, you could
> potentially get a lockup due to a priority inversion.  (Though I
> think the probability is very small).

I don't use ntpd (I use ntpdate) and I do have those options enabled in my
kernel (all three of them). IIRC they are needed to get either cdrdao or
cdrecord to work.

Seems that everything points to UDMA66 so far...

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--
  Dave Boers             < djb @ relativity . student . utwente . nl >
  Don't let your schooling interfere with your education. (Mark Twain)