Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 00:55:02 -0500
From:      "Martin Gignac" <freebsd@mobilitylab.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPSec, IKE and reboot question...

Hi,

I've installed and configured the racoon port on two FreeBSD 4.4 systems and
have set-up an ESP transport-mode IPSec security policy and security
association between them. All traffic from one to the other is automatically
encrypted. IKE works fine and I have set-up the machines to run racoon and
configure setkey on boot-up in /etc/rc.local and /etc/rc.conf respectively.

Now my problem is that when _one_ of the servers reboots, it can't set-up a
new SA with the other server because the "old" SP and SA on the other server
refuse to recognize the unencrypted traffic generated by the rebooted
server's wish to exchange key information on UDP port 500. The rebooted
server always ends up having to wait for the other server's SA to expire (it
is set to 3600 seconds on both) so that the latter can "drop its guard" and
accept unencrypted traffic from the rebooted server to perform the key
exchange.

Short of reducing the key lifetime to a smaller value, is there another way
to allow for a prompt and proper key exchange between the two servers after
one of them reboots?

Thanks,
-Martin