Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:43:59 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011293039.8e6f6c@mired.org>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: "Cluster" administration software...

Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> types:
> 12 Jan 2002, 12:32:38, you wrote:
> > Portupgrade can do part of that for you. If you tell it to use
> > packages, it will check for them locally, and if that fails it uses
> > pkg_fetch to fetch the package. pkg_fetch, like pkg_add, uses the
> > environment variable PACKAGEROOT to specify where to look for
> > packages. So the syntax is something like
>
> > PACKAGEROOT=http://myrepository/packages portupgrade
> > --use-packages-only --all
>
> > That leaves the problem of installing the package the first time,
> > and ignores the *other* problems you've pointed out with
> > portupgrade.
>
> I know about that solution, but it doesn't work on a machine without
> an up to data ports tree which means that one has to track ports from
> CVS on each and every machine (or mount it via NFS) which definitely
> is suboptimal...

That's part of the "other" problems I mentioned.

pkg_add supports PACKAGEROOT as well. What portupgrade solves for you
is deciding when things need to be updated. Hmm - I think you could
almost do this with diff and ftp.

Assume the list of installed packages is in DIR/packages. Then you
want to do something like:

mv packages packages.old
<do an ls via ftp to get the list of new packages in packages.new>
sort packages.new > packages
diff -u packages.old packages > packages.diff
pkg_delete -fd `grep ^- packages.diff | sed s/^-//`
pkg_add `grep ^+ packages.diff | sed s/^+//`

on a regular basis. The /var/db/pkg dependencies will be screwed up on
the client systems, but you probably don't care about that.

	<mike