Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:49:32 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device driver for SIIG Soundwave Pro PCI

I have this PCI sound board.  The box says it's compatible with
Soundblaster Pro/16, DirectMusic, DirectSound3D, PC97/98.  But it's
probed as:

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x4005, dev=0x4000) at 11.0 irq 5

I'd like to try to write a driver for this board, but I'm completely
clueless where to start.  If somebody could give me a clue where to
start looking in the source tree for examples, how the pieces fit
together and what missing pieces I need to supply for this board, I'm
sure I could eventually figure it out.  I've done simple device drivers
before, but for SunOS and for simple embedded control systems, not for
FreeBSD.

Is there a newbie orientation tour of the FreeBSD audio system
available?  Or can somebody share a few hints on how to get started?

Thanx!