Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 16:53:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        James Higgins <jamesh@bnoc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panasonic CR-563 CD-ROM Drives.

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, James Higgins wrote:

> Doug White wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, James Higgins wrote:
> >
> > > Ok,
> > >
> > > I change the I/O address to 0x630. Windows 95 shows the device at 0x630
> > > and linux also detects the drive at 0x630.  Kernel parameter in linux is
> > > "sbpcd=0x630,LaserMate" if that means anything to anyone.  Then I save
> > > the userconfig parameters and continue booting.
> >
> > Did you set the interrupt?
> >

> There is no way to specify an interrupt as far as I can tell.

I don't know if the Panasonic interface supports interrupts, but you can
specify it by adding `int x' to the device info line.

controller matcd0  at isa? port 0x230 int 5 bio

Usually the controller shares with the sound card.

> > > The drive light flashes like the drive is read, but when I select it as
> > > my installation media I get the now infamous "No CDROM devices found....
> > > blah blah blah" error.  I can switch to virtual console 2 and see the
> > > line: "DEBUG:  Try at matcdc0 retruns errno 2".
> >
> > Hit scroll lock at the main install menu, then use the arrow keys to
> > scroll back and see the boot prompt.  See if matcd0 found anything.

> It does not detect a drive while installing or if I compile a kernel
> with the following line in the configuration.
>
> controller matcd0 at isa ? port 0x630 bio

Hm.  I wonder if this drive isn't-quite-matcd compatible.  I had a TEAC 4x
CD that used the Panasonic interface but a proprietary communication
language, so matcd would blink the light but wouldn't find it.