Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:02:19 +0100
From:      "Heiko Wundram (Beenic)" <wundram@beenic.net>
To:        Dag-Erling =?utf-8?q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: valgrind or workalike on FreeBSD/amd64 7.0/8.0?

Am Montag, 18. Februar 2008 12:50:36 schrieben Sie:
> The ports version is a little outdated, but it works fine on i386.  What
> peter@ and phk@ are doing in p4 is to port a newer version to FreeBSD
> and add amd64 support.  Hopefully, the upstream vendor will adopt those
> patches so it doesn't have to be done over for every major valgrind
> release.

Not true. The ports version(s, both valgrind and valgrind-snapshot) don't work
on FreeBSD 7, simply because the system call table for 7.0 hasn't been
updated yet, and it also fails to compile on the current GCC (whereas the
latter is an easy fix, which I could post as a pr, but didn't so far, because
of the unresolved issues wrt. the new system calls, which I can't/don't have
time to fix).

I last tried installing valgrind about a week ago; if you tell me that
something changed in that week (haven't done a csup since then), I'll gladly
try again, but AFAIK, nothing's changed (i.e., it doesn't work on 7 so far).

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development