Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 02:45:42 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp and RED

Luigi,

I'm sure RED is a big win for a slow ppp link.
In the current TCP, fast-recovery fails when multiple packets get
dropped in a single window.  RED at the bottleneck link considerablly
reduces the chance of successive packet drop.

Traffic traces are available to prove it. It's not a slow link, though.
http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/red/perf.html

--kj