Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:40:13 +0800 (MYT)
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   SpeakFreely on ESS Maestro-2E

am trying to get speakfreely working on an ESS Maestro-2E under FreeBSD
4.4 (cvsupped and built end october 2001).

compilation and install from /usr/ports/mbone/speak_freely works fine and
dandy, but running it doesnt.

sfspeaker starts and listens in daemon mode ok, but starting sfmike and
trying to talk fails with a /dev/audio "Device Busy" error. tried
rebuilding speak_freely with -DHALF_DUPLEX (the default) and without
-DHALF_DUPLEX and the same result both times.

other apps, including kde 2.2.1's artsd, xmms, gtv work fine with the
sound card. 'cat somefile.au > /dev/audio' works fine as well. i've
checked that no other process has opened the audio device, but still the
same problem.

as usual, /dev/audio is a symlink to /dev/audio0 et al. specifying
/dev/audio0 as the sfmike device thru -y doesnt work either.

has anyone had the same experience with either the maestro 2e or with
other soundcards, and if so, is this resolvable ? the mailing list
archives had a link to a patch which said something about
duplex/half-duplex, but the link is just a 404 right now.

any help would be appreciated.