Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:57:25 -0800
From:      "David A. Zimmerman" <daz@sssystems.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 3COM509 Etherlink III on FreeBSD 2.1.6

Hello all, I'm trying to set up my first FreeBSD system (release 2.1.6) on
a 486/33 and have run into problems establishing a network connection.

In the kernel configuration, I have disabled all devices that conflict with
my 3COM509 Etherlink III which is set up for IRQ 5 / 300, and the kernel
seems to be gettting built without error.  When I boot the system, however,
I am unable to establish a connection with any other machines, nor can
other machines ping this one.  The connection light on the hub does not
show a connection despite the fact that the cable and network port have
been tested using another machine and work fine.  I have also successfully
connected this machine to the network using a DOS client on the DOS
partition.  I have also tried to get NE1000 and SMC 3016TP cards to work
with similar results.

I am not a UNIX expert by an strech but have had a good deal of experience
and feel that I have tried just about everything I can think of over the
last two weeks.  Would anyone be kind enough to offer any insight into a
few other things I might try to get this machine on the Net?  What am I
missing?  How can I diagnose this problem?

Thanks for your time,
David