Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:55:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org, BSD Users Group <bugs@bugs.au.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [bugs] SMP, KDE3 and OpenOffice

Hi Andrew,

	Thanks for your reply:

> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:35:50 +1000
> From: Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:12:49PM +1000, Rob Hurle wrote:
> > 	I'm trying to set up FreeBSD on my box, which has an Intel
> > D945GNT motherboard, two 3.2GHz processors, 1GB memory.  The system
> > installs OK and I've been able to use cvsup to upgrade everything,
> > remake the kernel (for SMP), build OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 KDE 3.5.
>
> Just to clarify, are those processors amd64/em64, or ia32?  Are
> you running a 32-bit or 64-bit system on them?  Aah.  I see from
> your uname, below, that you're running i386 code.  That should
> remove a few potential pitfalls.

They are supposed to be ia32, but here is part of the dmesg output
(I don't quite understand all of this):

  AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
  Logical CPUs per core: 2
real memory  = 1072087040 (1022 MB)
avail memory = 1039990784 (991 MB)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
ioapic0: Changing APIC ID to 2
ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
kbd1 at kbdmux0
acpi0: <INTEL D945GNT> on motherboard
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)

> > 1.  Only one processor seems to be used.  The output from top -S is:
> >
> >  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> >    11 root          1 171   52     0K     8K CPU1   0   0:00 99.02% idle: cpu1
> >    12 root          1 171   52     0K     8K RUN    0 139:40 98.34% idle: cpu0
>
> It seems to me that the FreeBSD scheduler is pretty keen on
> processor affinity, which is a good thing.  My AMD-X2 dual core
> system has been up a good deal longer than yours, but the idle
> times are still fairly different:
>
> root      12 99.0  0.0     0    16  ??  RL    8Jul06 9797:24.05 [idle: cpu0]
> root      11 98.5  0.0     0    16  ??  RL    8Jul06 11206:02.27 [idle: cpu1]

Hmm, yes.  Maybe I don't have a problem.  I haven't yet stretched it,
although I noticed while building a new kernel - which I did the old
way, before reading UPDATING :-( - that there was no activity on the
other CPU.

> > 3.  OpenOffice.org does not like any of the files produced from
> > anywhere else.  I have stuff written in StarOffice 5.2 and in MS Word,
> > but none of these will open.  Even stuff written using OpenOffice.org
> > 2 on a MS system is not acceptable.  The error is always "General I/O
> > Error".  OpenOffice will read files that it has written quite OK and
> > permissions, ownership, etc all seem to be OK.
>
> I believe that most of the OOo file import functionality is
> provided by Java modules, and it will successfully build without
> this functionality if you don't have or don't want to run Java.
> Do you have a working native Java implementation?  You might
> need to get Java going before building (or re-building) OOo.

Yes, I was aware of this, and installed jdk1.4.2 and jdk1.5.0 before
building OOo.  I built 1.4.2 first, but I think jdk 1.5.0 is the
native FreeBSD one?  However, I noticed today that there is a
"src.zip" file in the jdk1.5.0 directory.  I unzipped this, and maybe
I now need to rebuild OOo.  I'll try this when I get some time.

	Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle
	Rob Hurle		Faculty of Asian Studies, ANU
	Home address and contacts:	 Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
	  PO Box 4013			 Fax: +61 2 6247 2397
	  Ainslie		     Cell phone: 0417 293 603
	  Australia		e-mail: rob@coombs.anu.edu.au