Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 23:50:05 -0700
From:      JBradley@ucsd.edu
To:        <FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   panic: cannot mount root

To whomever wants to help:

After a minimal install of BSD, it fails to boot correctly.  Here is the
setup.

2 disk system
   1st disk is pure DOS and booteasy
   2nd has 32M DOS partition at front and FreeBSD slice on remainder.
Disk 1 shows up as wd0
Disk 2 shows up as wd2 (that's wd2, NOT wd1).
48 M ram. (I saw the similar problem in errata that involver 48M machines
and failure to mount fd0 as root during install.  I tried the solution
given: I went into config and set "iosize npx0 32768" but it didn't work.)

When the kernel loads, all devices are probed correctly.  When system
attempts "changing root device to wd1a," the system panics with "panic:
cannot mount root" and restarts.  The odd thing is that, during setup, the
root "/" partition of the FreeBSD slice showed wd2s2a, and the drives were
wd0 and wd2.  It seems like the kernel is looking to wd1 for the root.  How
can I change this to get it to boot properly?

Thanks,
Justin Bradley